Skip to main content

Sins List?

      Don't worry - I'm not going to publish a running sins list :)...however, I have been thinking about my sin a lot more than usual lately.  And I don't mean that in a bad way.  I'm feeling convicted - not condemned.
      I want to lead a blameless life.  There was a time where I found the word blameless frustrating because I had it associated with perfection, which - though God's word tells us to strive for perfection, we all know is actually impossible on this side of heaven.  I do believe, however, that God's word indicates that we can lead blameless lives.  Though I am still in the process of figuring out exactly what that means, I have a feeling it has a lot to do with bringing our sin before the Lord on a regular basis.  I just started reading a book called "Respectable Sins" by Jerry Bridges - I am only half way through the first chapter and I'm already feeling excited.  Yes, a book about sins is exciting me.  The book, so far, seems to be focusing on how much the gospel applies to our daily lives.  It is easy to think that the gospel is for non-believers and forget how much we need to hear it.  He died for us.  Not for our neighbor (though He died for them too), not for our family (yes, of course he died for them too), not for the blatant sinner that we may or may not spend time judging and feeling sorry for (yes, He died for them too) - but for US.  Really, "us" doesn't even communicate the point of what I'm trying to say. He died for me! (When read by me, the "me" means me...when read by you the "me" means you.) I am coming to believe that we/I spend way too much time thinking how much others need to hear the gospel, and way too little time thinking how much we/I need to hear the gospel.
     I have thoroughly enjoyed the practice of counting my blessings and I hope that I do it for the rest of my life.   The Lord pours them out abundantly.  But as I have begun to do so, my love for Him is growing,  and so is my  vision of who He is.  He is so perfect, so pure.  Next to his purity, my sin is becoming so much more obvious. Thankfully, he has paid the price for my sin!  I think, for me though,  the temptation is to think - ok, good - sin paid for.  Next.  However, lately (perhaps because of "Respectable Sins", I have started (and this is definitely a new thing) to think through my transgressions and confess them individually. Here is a list of the "Respectable Sins" that Jerry Bridges mentions - these are sins that we each are full of yet can easily forget about.ungodliness

anxiety and frustration

discontentment

unthankfulness

pride(fulness, revealed specifically in self-righteousness, even in a pursuit of theological accuracy, in prideful motives behind our achievements and revealed in a spirit of independence)

selfishness (with our interests, time, money and inconsiderateness)

lack of self-control (in eating, drinking and temperament, finances, entertainment and shopping)

impatience and irritability

anger (even anger towards God) and
the weeds of anger (underlying roots of anger in resentment, bitterness, enmity, hostility and holding grudges

judgmentalism (and a critical spirit over differing convictions and doctrinal disagreements)
envy, jealousy, competitiveness and being controlling

sins of the tongue (like gossip, slander, lying, harsh words, sarcasm, insults and ridicule)

worldliness (shown financially, by our idolatry and in “vicarious immorality,” that is, the enjoyment of watching or reading the sinfulness of others)

Over the past couple of days I have prayed through the list (not necessarily the whole thing) and gotten more specific than the descriptive word for the sin (as Bridges encourages us to do).  In other words I don't say "God forgive me for my lack patience" but something more like "God forgive me for snapping at Blake when he really needed a hug...I am an impatient person in need of your forgiveness"
Though it would be easy to read through the list and get discouraged,  to do so would be missing the whole point.  No, we should not ignore these sinful attitudes and actions, we should bring them before the thrown.  Once we do so, the list looks a bit more like:

ungodliness
anxiety and frustration

discontentment

unthankfulness

pride(fulness, revealed specifically in self-righteousness, even in a pursuit of theological accuracy, in prideful motives behind our achievements and revealed in a spirit of independence)

selfishness (with our interests, time, money and inconsiderateness)

lack of self-control (in eating, drinking and temperament, finances, entertainment and shopping)

impatience and irritability

anger (even anger towards God) and
the weeds of anger (underlying roots of anger in resentment, bitterness, enmity, hostility and holding grudges

judgmentalism (and a critical spirit over differing convictions and doctrinal disagreements)
envy, jealousy, competitiveness and being controlling

sins of the tongue (like gossip, slander, lying, harsh words, sarcasm, insults and ridicule)

worldliness (shown financially, by our idolatry and in “vicarious immorality,” that is, the enjoyment of watching or reading the sinfulness of others)

Does that mean that we won't continue to struggle with these sins?  No, of course not.  We are all sinners and will always be on this side of heaven.  However bringing our sin before God reminds us of our desperate need for the gospel (and hopefully keeps us humble and less tempted to judge others).  He has paid the price for our sins, once and for all - but we need to be reminded regularly.  The gospel isn't just for unbelievers - it is for us.  It is for me.

P.S. See "comments" for some pretty incredible verses regarding sin

Comments

  1. We Are All Sinners

    Romans 3:23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

    Isaiah 64:6 We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.

    We Need To Confess Our Sin

    Proverbs 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

    Hosea 5:15 Then I will return to my place until they admit their guilt and turn to me. For as soon as trouble comes, they will earnestly search for me.”

    God Forgives Our Sin

    1 John 1:7-9 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin. If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

    Forgiving One Anothers Sins

    Luke 17:3-4 So watch yourselves! “If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive. Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.”

    Examples of Sin

    Colossians 3:5-6 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.

    Galatians 5:19-21 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

    Victory Over Sin

    1 Corinthians 15:57 But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.

    Romans 8:1 So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Tanja: You know, I have really struggled with that word as well. Blameless..............I know I'm not and God even tells me I'm not...I'm a sinner saved by grace. So what does it really mean to live a blameless life? I chew on this ALOT! Beth Moore has addressed this plenty of times in her many bible studies and books. Living blamelessly is living a life not RULED by the sins we are so prone to. Having them under our feet and not holding us in captivity. When pride/judgmental attitude, hate or whatever raises it's ugly head and the Holy Spirit is by my side saying " Ok, Tanja , call it what it is." And I recognize this as flesh etc. I have been given God's supernatural will power and can exercise it by saying "No, I WILL not respond to that. It is not truth and Jesus I hand it to you. I will exercise my will and I WILL humble myself and not use words/thoughts to judge and I will surrender myself to allow YOU TO LOVE them though me. Love them with your AGAPE love that I do not have in my natural person. You live in me. Love though me Jesus. It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me." This is living blamlessly. I haven't sinned when I recognize what the Holy Sprit has shown me. I have put it under my/Jesus's feet and walked a surrendered life. A FREE life. A Blameless life. God blesses this and this is how we LIVE BY Faith. It is that constant talking prayer life with God. I have to admit, my life is not always like this. In fact, I hit the deck HARD very frequently. But I understand what the path is and there is FREEDOM in that. There is so much HOPE in that. HOPE for more victories in the future, more days lived in the promises, more power in my life, more JESUS in my life, more of His LOVE coming though into my life. I SOOOOO desire that. This walk is hard but I have dung my claws (those big TIGER claws amen!) into it and will not let go. This is such an important topic! And yes our walks are with Jesus and yes I do pay too much attention to others. HARD! This is a major issue I have been dealing with the last couple months as well. I'm stuck in a rut and praise God! talking it out helps me. Anyway, these are just my thoughts on this. God, Bless!

    Your sister in Christ,
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, awesome post, Val... So good.
    Wow.

    Seriously.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The second half of the serenity prayer

I think I've heard the serenity prayer a million and one times, but I just recently found out that it is never quoted in full.  The second half is wonderfully encouraging! "God grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world As it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right If I surrender to His Will; So that I may be reasonably happy in this life And supremely happy with Him Forever and ever in the next"

I'm just not feeling it

I have noticed something interesting about myself when it comes to opening the doors of our home. I am the first to admit that fifteen minutes before our guests arrived the place was a mess. I was barking orders to my kids, scrubbing our toilet, stuffing things in drawers and searching for underwear (yup, probably dirty) that pop up in the most random places. I don't mind admitting that I don't have it all together, but I have a hard time letting anyone see it. I am the same way when it comes to my emotions. If I'm really struggling I tend to pull away. Just last night I found myself tempted to postpone a scheduled visit with a few close friends because I had no desire to admit to them that I felt like I was coming apart at the seams. Praise God, I dragged myself there and they gently began the process of gluing me back together by simply listening & loving me - despite me. And then there's "grace in the midst". I love passing along thoughts, ideas an

Star Wars, Frozen & Scissors

      I make a grunting noise as I toss another lego into "toy jail". I step away and trip over one of the kids light sabers.  Glancing over at the breakfast crumbs (we could seriously feed a family of refugees , not that I struggle with the idea of how much we waste or anything), I feel my eyes well up and think "I could use some of 'the force' about now. Trying to determine if I should pull the kids from their happy game of Zingo or tackle the breakfast fiasco on my own, I decide on the latter. What was my dear friend's quote, I ponder. Oh yeah, "a little and often". She was referring to home maintenance (along with other things). Gently, she was reminding me to stay on top of things rather than let them build into tougher jobs. "This isn't a little and often", I sarcastically mumble "this is 'a lot and always'." Seriously, if I'd simply pray every time I pick something off the floor, I might actually get a gras